If you’re utilizing a Microsoft account to log into your computer, Windows displays your real email address and name on the login screen. This is often a privacy concern–for example, with shoulder surfers when you are using your laptop in public–and it’s less secure than requiring you to definitely enter both your username and password to get into your pc. Listed here are two methods to hide this private information within the login screen.
The steps below work with Windows 8 and Windows 10 and will be applied to all user accounts on your PC. Note that if you are using Windows 10 Home edition, you will need to make use of the registry method, because you won’t have access to the Group Policy Editor.
Method 1: Edit the Computer Policy to cover Your User Information
1. Search for “Local Group Policy Editor” within the Windows taskbar and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
3. Double-click “Interactive logon: Display user information once the session is locked”. This tells Windows which user information to exhibit around the login screen whenever your laptop is locked.
4. Select “Do not display user information.”
5. Click Apply then Alright to have this get into effect immediately.
6. Next, double-click “Interactive logon: Do not display last user name”. This tells Windows whether or not to display your user info when you boot your pc.
7. Alter the setting to Disabled and click on OK.
Method 2: Edit the Registry to Hide Your User Information
1. Search for “regedit” in the Windows taskbar and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
3. Double-click dontdisplaylastusername.
4. Alter the 0 to 1 in the Value data field.
5. Click OK.
6. Right-click a clear area within the right panel and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
7. Enter DontDisplayLockedUserID for that DWORD name.
8. Double-click DontDisplayLockedUserID.
9. Alter the 0 to 3 in the Value data field.
10. Hit OK.
Next time you log to your computer, your info will be hidden. To log in, you’ll need to complete both your username (current email address or your first and last name) and your password. It’s an extra step, only one lots of people may want to do for privacy or security reasons. While you are in internet marketing, you can disable the lock screen in Windows 10 too and obtain to the login screen more quickly.