If you are offering or getting rid of the body, it is important that you unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Here’s how.
Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft allowed users to link their Windows 10 license for their Microsoft account. One of the best things about linking Windows 10 license with Microsoft account is it automatically activates Windows whenever you reinstall it on the same machine. All you have to do is log into your Microsoft account in Windows 10. Simply put, you will no longer have to enter the product key manually each and every time.
Though linking the license is pretty easy, it is not so easy if you wish to unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Unlinking the license is fairly important if you want to donate your PC/laptop, sell it second hand, or dump it. Without further ado, allow me to show the best way to unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account.
Steps to Unlike Windows 10 License from Microsoft Account
To unlink Windows 10 license, you need to perform two major steps. That is, switch to a nearby account and then delete the computer entry out of your Microsoft account. To make things easier, I divided the guide into two sections. Just follow the steps out of the box and you’ll be done in no time.
Note: Before proceeding, be sure you know your computer name. This is particularly important for those who have multiple computer links towards the same Microsoft account.
1] Switch to Local Account
1. First, ensure that you are logged to your main Windows 10 account that is linked to the Microsoft account.
2. Next, open the Settings app by pressing Win + I. Now, go to the “Accounts → Your Info” tab. Around the right page, click the “Sign along with local account instead” link.
3. You will be prompted with a confirmation window, click on the “Next” button.
4. Next, enter in the password or PIN to verify and press “Enter”.
5. Now, set a new username, password, and hint. Click on the “Next” button.
6. Within this window, click the “Sign out and finish” button. This can sign you out of trouble.
Sign in with the password you place in step 5. When you are logged in, follow the second section.
2] Remove Computer from Microsoft Account
After singing out, you can now proceed to safely unlink from Microsoft account.
1. All the linked devices are listed on a single page inside your Microsoft account. So, head over to this site.
2. You may be prompted for any password or PIN. Authenticate yourself and continue to the next step.
3. Find your pc within the listing of devices and click on the “Manage” link.
4. Underneath the computer name, you will notice a drop-down menu called “Manage”. Click on it and then click on the “Remove PC/Laptop” option.
You may see a warning or confirmation window, accept it and also the PC or laptop is going to be unlinked from your Microsoft account.